Daemonball Rally Test Event – A Recap
Last Saturday night, about 300 of us (that’s right, 300) logged in to the Public Test Server to test out WAR’s new Live Event Public Quest: the Daemonball Rally.
If you weren’t one of those that joined us, here’s a quick recap of what’s to come with WAR’s upcoming Live Event “Daemon Moon Rising.”
In the war-torn lands of the Old World, festering like a boil, rests a terrible artifact of the Daemon Moon’s first rising in long-ago times. Built of the very stuff of chaos and the essence of nightmares, the Daemon Cradle lies waiting to be awakened, empowered, and brought to bear against the living. Seize the Daemon Cradle and carry it to its nest five times to best your enemies in this new Public Quest!
Well, that’s the official description in any case. In my opinion, they could have just said “Rugby comes to WAR” and you’d get the gist of it. Here’s what it boils down to:
- In a contended Empire/Chaos zone, there will be a “ball spawn” and two “goals”.
- There is only one ball in play at any given time…at least, that’s how it’s supposed to work. 😉
- Your job is to move the ball to your goal at least five times.
- While you carry the ball, you take 50% more damage and a light shines down from heaven to point you out as the target to kill.
- You can pass the ball to anyone in your Realm that is around you via a special ability, like the Rune Priest/Zealot abilities you get when buffed by them. It’s got a pretty long range on it.
- Goals must be defended, both yours and theirs, as your scores can be destroyed so are never, ever safe.
- Once completed, the PQ Chest spawns back at the warcamp and the PQ resets after a cooldown period.
Still a bit confused? Let’s let some pictures do the talking then…
Here’s the PQ Tooltip explanation.
Here’s what the “goal” looks like on the map.
Here’s where the “ball” spawns.
Here’s what the “goal” looks like when the PQ is almost complete.
Here’s the ability for passing the “ball.”
Here’s the Finger of God that pokes down on you when you’re carrying the “ball.” It’s red for Destro, obviously.
When we had both sides even, the PQ was a lot of fun. There’s a lot of strategy that can be used when moving the ball around, guarding goals, etc. Small groups that know how to work together well will really shine here, but it will take coordinated effort from your entire Realm to truly dominate this PQ. That being said, when one side is way outnumbered, it’s a bit of a farm-fest but still has places where you can really hit back in small, coordinated groups to prevent an easy win and possibly turn the tide.
My advice: Communicate. Protect the ball-carrier and your goal. We didn’t really protect our goal well during the testing event and it showed as we’d lose all of our points in the blink of an eye. That’s not fun. Trust me.
There was definitely a lot of good feedback in Ventrilo after the event was over and I hope some of the bugs encountered will get squashed before this goes live. Especially the one that kept having us spawn at the zone-in point for Reikland. /facepalm
I’m really looking forward to this though. Everyone loved the idea behind it. I truly think the only way to make it better is to make it a scenario. I can see 18-24 people on each side duking it out for the full 15 minutes trying to get five scores. Make it 100 points a score with no points from anything else and you lose points if your scores are destroyed. hehe. That’s full of win in my opinion.
Anyway, this will go live with the Daemon Moon Rising Live Event which is scheduled to start on October 23rd. You know what that means, right? 1.3.2 is only a few short weeks away…